While preparing for my son's Curious George themed 1st birthday party last November, I came across some fabric story blocks. Thinking it would be easy enough to make a fabric book for him, I purchased the fabric. This began my year long quilt project.
I am fortunate enough to have a master quilter in the family. My husband's grandmother offered to teach me how to make a quilt with the story blocks instead of making a book.
Yesterday, November 17th at 6 pm, I completed the quilt. I not only have a great gift for my son's second birthday but I have gained so much more than making the quilt. The time that I was able to spend and get to know "my" grandmother is priceless. The year before I had lost my own grandmother and missed the comfort and wisdom that talking and visiting with her gave me.
The quilt encouraged us to take more frequent trips to visit her. Over the past year, I have learned a lot about how to make a quilt and even more about my husband's family and history. Yesterday, with my son at another grandma's house and my husband at work, I went to spend the entire day with my grandmother and finish the quilt. It was a wonderful day. I treasure the quilt and the memories of making it with her even more.
No comments:
Post a Comment